When selecting flooring for your bedroom, it is important that it makes a statement. After all, your flooring is the first thing that you step on as you wake up from the bed and the last thing that you touch before getting into bed. How this touch feels has both a physical and psychological effect, which makes the choice of bedroom flooring particularly important.
While there are several considerations when choosing the best bedroom flooring, some of the critical ones remain visual appeal and the feel of the flooring underfoot. However, you should also be concerned about environmental factors, such as whether the material is recyclable or green. Moreover, if you have anyone at home with allergies, some types of flooring may not be suitable for you.
Now that you know the key considerations that will help you make the right bedroom flooring decision, let’s look at some of the most popular bedroom flooring ideas with an insight into the pros and cons of different types of bedroom flooring options.
Carpet remains a popular choice of bedroom flooring for quite some time. Given its soft texture and warm appeal, carpeted flooring offers an obvious advantage when you walk bare feet in your room. But apart from the softness, the carpet also helps create a sense of luxury in your bedroom while protecting you from the cold on chilly winter mornings.
Let’s look at some of the pros and cons that will help you decide whether a carpet is the right choice for your bedroom or not.
- When combined with good quality padding, carpet often has better insulation, leaving your room warm and cozy.
- A carpeted floor absorbs the outside noise better, making it a quiet place where you can relax.
- Carpets offer a cushioned surface that adds to safety, especially if you have younger kids and older adults at home. Carpet is one of the least expensive choices for bedroom flooring.
- Difficult to maintain.
- Traps allergens; hence, it isnot the best choice for people with allergies.
- Carpets are usually not recyclable.
- Some carpets may have off-gas chemicals.
- It may have a shorter lifespan than some other flooring alternatives.
Read Also: Balcony Flooring – 4 Interesting Ideas for Outdoor Flooring
Apart from carpets, another popular flooring idea for the bedroom is hardwood flooring. Bedroom flooring using genuine hardwood is considered one of the best flooring materials. It not only looks appealing but is also sturdy, warm, and long-lasting. Even better, hardwood flooring is environmentally- friendly. But hardwood flooring doesn’t come without cons. Let’s look at the pros and cons of hardwood flooring.
- Depending upon the type of wood used, hardwood flooring gives a distinct beauty to the room and a warm, luxurious appeal.
- Hardwood flooring may not be as soft as carpet; it is warmer and softer than other stone and tiles.
- Hardwood flooring is resistant to stains and damage.
- When maintained properly, hardwood flooring can last forever.
- Hardwood flooring is made of recyclable material and breaks down naturally without damaging the environment.
- Hardwood flooring is easy to clean to get rid of dust, pollens, and other possible allergens.
- Enhances the overall value of your property.
- Hardwood flooring is resistant to stains and damage, but it is hard to repair in case of damage.
- Hardwood flooring has specific maintenance needs such as occasional sealing.
- Hardwood flooring is relatively expensive and makes a pricier choice of flooring material.
- This type of flooring is noisier as it doesn’t offer insulation or sound absorption.
- Younger kids and older adults may experience the risk of injury in case of fall over hardwood flooring as it is harder than carpet.
Read Also: How to Spice Up a White Bedroom?
While cork flooring is not as popular as carpet and hardwood flooring, it is becoming increasingly popular in bedrooms because of its obvious advantages. Among the best features of cork flooring is its ability to insulate between floors which provides sound absorption as well as help maintain the room’s temperature, which eventually helps save your energy bills.
Some of the pros and cons of cork flooring include the following.
- Comfort and soft underfoot that offers safety against the risk of injury in case of fall.
- Cork flooring is warmer than hardwood, but it may not be as cozy as carpet.
- Offers sound and thermal insulation.
- Cork flooring is easy to maintain.
- It is one of the best flooring options for individuals with allergies.
- Cork flooring is less environmental-friendly compared to hardwood as its manufacturing involves the use of chemicals and synthetic products, which can pollute the environment.
- Cork flooring can be easily scratched.
- It has a shorter life span compared to hardwood.
- Cork flooring can cost you as much as hardwood flooring and is a pricier flooring option for bedrooms.
Vinyl flooring makes a versatile choice for bedrooms as it can take anything from vinyl sheets to vinyl tiles and even the newer vinyl flooring planks. With luxury options closely resembling the pricier alternatives, such as hardwood and ceramic, vinyl flooring makes one of the best flooring options for bedrooms. However, there are a few downsides that you need to know.
- Vinyl flooring is easy to clean and maintain.
- Vinyl flooring is waterproof, which makes it a great choice for bedrooms with adjoining bathrooms.
- If the risk of injury due to fall is a concern, vinyl flooring makes a great choice as it is soft.
- Vinyl flooring is durable and long-lasting.
- Vinyl flooring makes an inexpensive bedroom flooring material.
- Vinyl flooring is not environmentally-friendly as its production involves the use of non-renewable energy sources.
- May emit hazardous chemicals for some time following the installation.
- Vinyl flooring is not recyclable, and it takes centuries before the material breaks down naturally.
You can find several other flooring options for bedrooms, including bamboo flooring, laminate flooring, and concrete flooring. However, the flooring options mentioned above make the most popular choices, so choose the one that best meets your needs and gives a warm and cozy feel to your bedroom.